Losing weight is not the most welcomed task in life. Many people know they are getting fatter, yet continue to simply buy bigger clothes and readjust their vision of their bodies. With an estimated 73% of all people now being considered overweight it is no surprise that the diet industry has become a multi-billion dollar enterprise. Sadly, with all this information out there, we are still fat and most of us still don’t know how to lose weight effectively.
No matter what else you have heard, in order to lose weight you must burn more calories than you consume in a day for many days in a row! This means you can’t diet for a week or two, give up and then try again. In fact, yo-yo dieting, binging and drugs are actually making your chances of ever losing weight an impossibility! Obviously, no miracle drug to weight loss has been invented, for if it had – everyone in the world would be at a healthy weight and plus sized clothes and super value meals would not be being sold by the truckloads each and every year!
So now you are asking, what are the five steps to weight loss? The five steps to weight loss include lots of common sense, accountability on your part and some good old-fashioned commitment and hard work. When you really want to lose weight, you will realize that there is simply one healthy way to do it and taking shortcuts and pills is not the answer!
- You are what you eat! No matter how much you exercise or how many meals you skip, you can’t eat junk food if you want to lose weight. Not only does it poison your system but it gives you absolutely no nutritional value, which puts your body in a constant state of confusion. You have to eat right. This means lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, lean meats and other proteins, low fat dairy products and nothing that is high sugar or refined. The easiest way to remember how to eat well is to understand that you should eat only things that are or once were alive! This way you won’t be putting toxins and chemicals into your body, your pH will balance out, your metabolism will act and you will be getting ample amounts of fiber in your diet to effectively eliminate! All of those people with potbellies that just won’t seem to go away should understand that it is a result of the foods they eat!
- Eating right involves two things. The first is the foods you should eat, as described above and the second is the amounts you should eat. Essentially, your stomach is no bigger than your balled fist (at least it used to be that way). When you eat platefuls of food, you stretch out your stomach making it much more difficult to feel satisfied. Next time you eat, it will take more food to make you feel full and so on and so forth. The ONLY way to fix this is to eat smaller portion sizes. Eat 5-6 times a day and never put more on your plate than your fist is big. If the steak and baked potato are larger than your fist, you can assume that the remainder is going to end up precisely in your hips, thighs or stomach – exactly where you don’t want it. Make sure you eat your last meal at least three hours before bed and instead of snacking throughout your day, plan to eat a little something every three hours. Yes, you will feel hungry for a week or so until your body adjusts to eating less. Yes, you will feel deprived. If you want to lose weight, you have to go through this period in order to see a lasting difference. It takes commitment and the real desire to make positive changes in your life that will last.
- Try as many people do to lose weight without exercise, you have to do it. The thing is that exercise doesn’t have to be 2 hours in a gym. Moving about, gardening, and taking a walk, playing with the kids, taking the stairs…anything that gets you moving. The goal is to get your heart pumping and do things you enjoy so that you will continue to do them. If you hate to run, don’t waste your money on a treadmill! Just get out there, move around, and make use of your body. Sitting still and remaining sedentary does not burn calories. The only thing that burns calories and effectively manipulates your metabolism to act is healthy food and exercise! Beware, just because you have exercised does not mean that you can eat a bigger lunch or dinner! In fact, the opposite is true! Remember, you want to use up those calories from your food.
- Get your mind right. When people decide to do something in their lives, it takes an act of congress to stop them. Our minds are the most powerful asset we have and using tools like visualization, meditation, goal setting and positive motivation will align your body with your mind. If these two are not working together, there is no way you will ever lose weight and experience healthy weight in your life. You have to be positive in your head at all times and DECIDE that you are in control of what you think and feel. Why? Because you are! Thinking that this will never work, convincing yourself that some extra Twinkies won’t hurt is self-sabotage. Every person plays different mind games with themselves and you have to work as hard on your mind as you do on your body. What your mind decides, your body will follow. So many people are desperate to lose weight and think it’s what they really want; but they aren’t willing to work for it in their mind or in their body! When you get your mental state right, you cannot fail.
- Cleanse yourself! There are many options available that will help your body to get rid of the toxins and poisons that you have been putting in it for years. You have to flush these out of your system completely and detoxify in order for your body to start absorbing vital minerals, nutrients and vitamins from your food. You also need to restore your energy and balance and the only way to do this is to effectively detoxify. Use herbal blends essential to detoxifications or make a few appointments for a round of colonics. When you finally begin to lose all the garbage being stored inside your cells, organs and tissues you will have the energy you need to exercise and the desire you need to eat healthy foods. You will feel so much better once you are “cleaned” that you will wonder how you lived so long in the muck of your system. Stay on a detox plan ensuring that you aren’t overloading and sabotaging your body’s desire and willingness to be healthy and maintain desirable weights.